Tuesday 27 June 2017

Let's walk children in nature.

Yes that is me pretend to be all serene on a weird stone pedestal

According to the NHS website walking reduces the risk of chronic illnesses such as heart disease, asthma, type two diabetes and some cancers. I'm here to tell you why it's one of my favourite things to do. 

From the ages of 11-16 I reckon I walked about an hour a day every week day just to get to school and back, and boy did I hate it! My route to school was pretty much all up hill (on the way there anyway). One of my favourite memories from school is trying to get up the hill in the ice, my friend who shall remain nameless was ahead of me and turned round to see where I was. But as she stopped to look she literally just slid right back to join me. Exactly like the gif below, I think it was a you had to be there moment but it still makes me howl with laughter whenever I think about it.

Fast forward 7 years later and I'm a grand old 23. Now going for a walk is one of the most important things I do, for both my mental and physical well being. The power of putting one foot in front of the other is incredible, for me its the reminder that my body is incredible no matter of its shape or size. Sometimes just setting foot out of the house is a struggle, other times it's the easiest thing in the world. No matter who or where you are I would be willing to bet you have one good memory for a walk. It's not really about where you go - insert ridiculous cliche here- it's about the journey and the time you spend out in nature.

Now my top three reasons why walking is the bees knees.

1. The distraction
 We live in a technologically advanced society where everything has to be done right now. The world is literally at our finger tips. We are bombarded with people having way more fun than us, with better jobs, higher salaries and more free time than us. So it's no wonder young people are suffering with mental health issues and burn out more than ever before. We're in a situation where hardly any of us can imagine living in a place we own with a perfect job. There's got to be sacrifices and for us that seems to be working harder than ever for very little pay off.

Now this is where I get a bit preachy - switch your fucking phone on silent, grab a pair of trainers and go out for a walk. (Obviously bring a fucking coat, the British summer time is more of a wishful thought than a reality). For me the route I take usually ends up at some landmark that I want to spend a bit of time at. This time it was Hartshead Pike in Oldham. When you've got a destination to reach you're not thinking about  whats going on around you, if you're anything like me you'll be cursing yourself for setting off. Wondering if Wonder Woman's thighs ever burn like this or if its even worth making it to top. But I promise you it is.

2. Headspace
Yes I know, I know this is the name of meditation app which I've dabbled in from time to time. But any form of exercise be it vigorous or gentle gives you room and time to think. Taking away all the excess stimuli you can really let your thoughts return to their basic level. Like "Oh, shit there's no more path...right do I walk towards traffic or with my back to them?" The primitive thoughts that are meant to keep us safe and analyse the danger. As a naturally anxious person, walking especially through the countryside means I can reset and only have to worry about real things like if a car is going to come out of nowhere or if that cow over there is going to suddenly become Usain Bolt.

Getting outside in the fresh air is also good for generating ideas, if you're at a crossroads with a project or with a goal I'd highly recommend going for a stroll. Whether its just around the block where you work or a more ambitious hike like I did. The time away from your project will allow your brain to rest and stop for a moment. Chances are when you return all those ideas which had fucked off to Neverland will make like Wendy and come home.

3. Proper human interaction.
Now you can choose to walk solo or with someone, when going on longer walks I definitely prefer going with my boyfriend. Mainly because he's just brill and I'm a sappy sod who just wants to spend all my time with him. I've found that walking with someone you care about and who is on the same wave length as you time to discuss anything and everything and it's wonderful. On our weekly walks to Tesco in recent weeks we've chatted about Brexit, The General Election, had multiple arguments debates about Grammar schools and it's genuinely my favourite part of the week.

I also used to go on regular walks every Wednesday with one of my best friends just around the area where I lived and we would talk about school, boys and mostly weird dreams that we had about McFly. Vicky if you ever read this here is my confession - I made most of those dreams up I just enjoyed telling stories about me you and McFly! Sorry! It was the highlight of my week because it was a chance to get out of school be silly, we would always stop in the same sweet shop and formed a lovely bond with the lady behind the til and it was great. Something I would definitely love to resurrect.

So there are my thoughts on why walking is great for mental and physical wellbeing. I feel like I've rabbited on enough now - I should probably go and see what the age limit on the local rambling society is.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe

Flickr