Wednesday 7 June 2017

One stone at a time.


It is universally accepted that a woman in possession of a brain, must be in want of a specific weight goal.

If we ignore the fact I've blatantly ripped of Jane Austen there (original I know), its hard to deny that especially in contemporary Western societies being thin and looking beautiful is a very real pressure us women have to deal with. We already have so much shit to deal with day to day without being super conscious of how much space we take up in the world. That was and still is my philosophy - your weight doesn't define who you are or what you can do. But I have come to the conclusion that I would like to take up a little bit less space. Physically anyway. Verbally and mentally I'm still going to demand every hectare I can.


I've wanted to lose weight for a while. But I've always rebelled because I felt that my desire to lose weight came from a societal pressure something I wanted to do. Contemporary life is like that person from school who you sort of knew but not really. Always popping up at the most inconvenient of time telling you how fantastic their life is.- Oh fabulous you went on holiday and had a bazzin' time did you? Now who are you again? We cannot move for the images of people living a seemingly perfect life. Filters are a wonderful thing, we can curate what we put online or what we talk about. I'm not going to tell you about the time I fell over putting a pair of jeans on but you bet I'll brag about still fitting into a top I bought when I was 18. Not every six foot insta model loves their body everyday -even though Dove tells us to. Learning to love yourself inside and out takes work. I already think I'm doing okay on the inside, but now to make the outside match that. For me that means losing weight and starting to really focus on my overall health and well being.




That's where Slimming World fits into the picture. There'll be more on this in a future post but for me doing alone wasn't going to cut it. I was raised in a very loving home with a family of hard workers - who all have a very sweet tooth. Trust me if families could have sweets on their coat of arms ours would definitely be a wine gum, possibly even riding on a Galaxy bar. So trying to figure out how to eat better was going to be a struggle. But I'm 11 weeks into the journey and have so far lost 1st 1lb. Which to say I've never tried to lose weight is pretty astounding to me. So I'm going to use this as a weekly diary/brain dump so I can look back on what I've actually achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe

Flickr